Sunday, May 13, 2012

The White Rose

When I was growing up, my family wore roses to church on Mother's Day.  I wore a red rose to honor my mother.  My brothers and my parents wore white roses.  My brothers were always- MY brothers - but their mothers had died before I was born.  My mother adopted them when she married their father.  I was born after that marriage and adoption.

On Mother's Day, my parents always made sure that my brothers had white roses to wear in memory of the one who gave them life.

I loved my red rose but was always a little confused about my brothers wearing white roses.  My mother explained the purpose to me every year when I was young.  I finally understood and while I was very thankful that my brothers had my mother who loved them as their own, I was a little sad about what their white roses represented.  I never wanted to think about wearing a white rose.

That day has come, though.  My rose is no longer red, it is white.  My mother is no longer here to "snitch" a red rose for me from the neighbor's red rose bush.  My mother is no longer here.  And I am sad.

I wish that I had one more day - even one more hour to honor my mother.  She was the best person I have ever known.  I wish I had paid more attention, learned more from her, expressed my love to her more, listened to what she said and why she said it.  I wish I had just a little more time.

Many of you who are wearing white roses today know what I mean.  If you are lucky enough to still be wearing a red rose, take that minute to be with your mother... not just be with your mother but to BE WITH your mother and to let her know how happy you are that you are wearing a red rose today in her honor.  White roses hold many wonderful memories, but red roses hold the opportunity for a shared future.

I love you, Gangy.  I still miss you every day.  You taught me so much about what it means to care and love those around me.  You taught me about what it is to have a strong faith - a faith that has taken me through many difficult times.  I thank God that He placed me in your arms when I came to this earth.  And I thank God for the faith to know that those beautiful arms of yours will be waiting for me when I join you in heaven one day and put on an eternal red rose.

Lord, I thank you for the memories, the lessons, and the love that you gave me through my mother.  Hold her close until I can hold her myself again.  And, Lord, give her a little kiss on the cheek today and tell her that her baby girl sure loves her and misses her.  Amen

3 comments:

  1. ...and she taught you how to be a great Mom... you forgot that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tripp! She also taught you how to be a great and true friend!

    ReplyDelete