Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy 2013


And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
Colossians 3:17

It’s that time of year for Resolutions.  I really don’t make  resolutions any more.  It’s kind of useless for me.  I generally break them by the end of January.  I’ve resolved to lose weight and exercise more years than I can count.  That process just doesn’t seem to work for me, unfortunately.

What I do in the new year is take a good hard look at my life.  I look to the past and count my blessings.  I find that although there seem to be many trials and tough times during the year, when I look back at the year as a whole, the things that I remember quickest and most easily are the blessings.  I remember good times with family, new babies, visits with those that I love, small thoughtful moments with friends, new friendships and relationships...  Those are the important things.  It’s funny how the troubles that seem so important at the time aren’t the things we remember in the end.

 While counting my blessings is a great focus, I do take a serious look each new year at the areas that weren’t so great to see where I can grow.  Who’s life did I touch?  What  more could I have done?  Who did I hurt?  Where can I improve?  Where could I have lived my faith more effectively?  That’s the best part—that’s where I grow.  I learn so much more from my mistakes than I ever gain from my successes.  If I don’t realize that something is broken, I don’t know to fix it.

I will never resolve to be perfect.  I just am not.  As a matter of fact, I don’t even think that I want to be perfect.  What fun is perfect?  However, I am so far off from being perfect, that I feel very comfortable growing and improving without ever worrying about reaching “perfect” status.  And while I don’t want to be perfect, I do want to do better.

So, this year, as in past, I won’t make any New Year’s Resolutions.  I will, however, take a long hard look at the year and thank God for my many, many blessings.  And I will ask him to be with me every day to keep my ears, eyes, and heart open to see where I can grow in His light.  And believe me, there is very much room for growth.  And that is a good thing!  I wouldn’t want to get bored this year by sitting around just being perfect! 

Blessings to each of you and those you love in 2013! 

Lou

 Lord, you are always with me... even when I don't think I need you.  Open my ears, my eyes, my heart to You, Lord.  Show me the way to serve you better every day - all year long.  I love you, Lord.  Forgive me when I forget to count my blessings.  Forgive me when I forget how much You love me.  Forgive me when I am thoughtless of the price you paid for my life. Forgive me, Lord, that I forget to thank you every minute of every day for all of the joy that you provide in my life.  And Lord, tomorrow, help me to be better than I am today.     Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great message! Something that I needed for sure!
    Thank you!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete