Thursday, May 6, 2010

Things I Learned

As I went through a cancer scare in 2005, I learned a lot.  I was so fortunate to have good results from my test results.  I am acutely aware that everyone does not have that outcome.  Why them and not me?  I have no idea...  I can only trust that God has a plan.  This is a list of some of the things that I learned during that time - and a few I've learned since.

• No event in life should go by without learning something from it.
• Take time to write a list of things that you have to be thankful for… add to it daily.
• You only have one life - you should live it well.
• You never know how long you have or when your time will come. Don't be caught off-guard.
• Friends and family. They are always there for you. Don't take them for granted.
• Don't take a day of life for granted.
• There are many good and faithful people in this world who hear bad news and keep their faith. They are the truly blessed servants of God. I’ll never forget the sick or their caregivers. I watched my loved ones suffer through this scare with me. It was sometimes harder for them than it was for me. I’ll never stop praying for the loved ones of the ill.
• Laughing is good for the soul.
• Drinking may make you sleep better, but it makes you gain a lot of weight!
• So does eating.
• Don't forget to thank God for every breath that you take.
• We are put on this earth for a reason. Sometimes it is easy to know what that reason is - sometimes it isn't. But, I know that I should never stop looking and asking God for guidance.
• Prayer works. Even if God decides not to heal or spare. Prayer can give me the tools to deal with the answer.
• Be Still and Know… take time to talk to God even when I’m busy or things are going well… As His child, God wants to hear about the good things in my life as well as the painful times.
• Laugh as much as you can.
• No matter how bad you think you've got it, someone has it worse.
• We won't always know the answer - but God does.
• Peace of mind is a good thing.
• Family isn’t always those related by blood
• If something bad happens and you don't know which daughter to tell and which one not to, don't tell Holly, but you'd better tell Jenna!
• Take some chances
• Follow that feeling in your heart and the pit of your stomach
• Money isn’t everything
• You learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes
• Life is better when you share it with someone you love
• Be kind to those you meet – you have no idea what they are going through
• Get that manicure and pedicure - and a massage every now and then. You’re absolutely worth it!
• Remember how much God give you – every day ask what you can give Him
• Even though I like to drive, if I move over and let God drive the bus, I always have a much easier ride
• I hear God best at the north end of Wrightsville Beach standing at the edge of the water
• Don’t give up on God – He doesn’t give up on us.
• When I put my faith in God, I’d better buckle my seatbelt – there’s no telling where He will take me.
• Life holds wonderful surprises every day!
• You’re never too old to fall in love!
• Twirl
• Look at life through the eyes of a child and things become much clearer and life is much simpler
• Playing “pretend” is good for the soul
• When you have a story – tell it!
• If you hear a voice telling you to do something that seems wonderful, yet impossible, you’d better listen… it just might be God!
• When you tell yourself “No, I Can’t”, hear God say, “OH YES YOU CAN!”

…to be continued. I pray that I learn at least one thing about faith every day of my life - no matter how long that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment