Friday, October 1, 2010

Peace and Joy - Yea Right... YEA RIGHT!!!!

The Lord bless you and keep you;  The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you.  The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.”
 Numbers 6:24 – 26

I just got back from the BAG Lady retreat at Camp Agape.  This is the second one that Amy and I facilitated and we had a great time.  I'm now working on the 2011 series of the BAG Lady retreat focusing on Peace and Joy.

I wanted to cancel the 2011 retreat, but a dear friend wouldn't let me - and she handles the camp reservations.  So, I'm now writing the information about "Peace and Joy" for the retreat next January.  Peace and joy - funny topic for me right now.  I guess God has a plan for me - 'cause I've been been letting the rest of the world get in my way of finding peace and sharing my joy.  By writing the content of this week-end retreat, I am studying, reading, meditating, and reflecting on those things that I let my depression overcome!

Most of you know that I have been out of work for over a year now.  I've done a lot of volunteer work and a whole lot of job searching over the past year.  There is a huge need for volunteer work, but not much need for a learning designer or trainer in the mortgage industry - or for much of anything right now.  So, I trudge away working on boards for non-profits, working at the church, designing retreats, and doing whatever I can where I can.  I love what I'm doing... I love sharing my gifts where I can... but it gets overwhelming that no one sees my gifts in the corporate world where I can draw an income.  Rejection is not an easy thing.

So, God gives me this task to design a retreat about Peace and Joy.  How can I study about God's word about Peace and Joy and not find it?  Well, answer is simple - I can't.

So, I made a list of the good and the bad in my life.... Here it is:

Bad things in my life since I lost my job
I don't have a job.
I don't have insurance.

Good things in my life since I lost my job
Many friends and family love and support me whether I have a job or not!
My children are happy and safe!
Two of my children have expanded our family by giving me the most wonderful daughter-in-law and son-in-law I could ask for.
I've fallen in love with the greatest guy in the world!
My family has expanded to include this great guy's great family which, by the way, includes three beautiful granddaughters!
My daughter is going to give me a grandson in March!  (Thanks, Holly!)
I've never been hungry.
I still have my home.
I have been able to give back my time to some who gave their time to me while I was busy working.
I have stuff to do to keep my mind and hands busy.
I've reconnected with friends and family that I haven't seen or had contact with in years.
My nieces and nephews share their vacations and children with me.
My elementary school best friends and I get together for visits a few times a year.
Cousins that I haven't heard from in years are now back in my life through communication.
I'm healthy.
I'm able to hold on to HOPE
I can sing, talk, walk, hear, work, and love.
I am more empathetic to others who have lost their jobs.  Others who lost their jobs have ended up having to live on the streets and wonder how they will feed their children their next meal.  I know that they need our prayers and help - not our criticism.
I have so much more than I need.
I've learned to be more humble.
I've learned to see others in a clearer light.
I've learned to slow down and see Christ in others - and to see His blessings in my life.
Christ walks with me and I know that He always will.

OK... that's a minute's worth.  I could go on... and on... and on... but hopefully, you get the point... The "goods" have it!!!!!

I have so much more than I deserve - or need - or thought I would have.  My wealth is not measured by money or status.  My wealth is found in my heart and in those who bless me every day.  THAT is my peace.  Not by what I have, but by who I have in my life.  And THAT is where I find my joy.  Not only by being Christ to others, but by finding Christ in others.

Lord, thank you for the friends and family that you put in my path to give me hope and encouragement.  Help me to focus on You and what You give me... not on what is missing.  You are my strength, Lord.  You are my peace and in you I find joy.  Keep my eyes on you, Lord - not on the boulders that get in my way.  Wrap your mighty arms around those in need, Lord.  And thank you for the hugs that you give me during my days.  Through my friends, my family, the words of an acquaintance, or the smile of a stranger.  Thank you for allowing me to see You all around me in the faces of Your children.   Amen.
PS... I could still use a paying job Lord, if you have time to work that out...

No comments:

Post a Comment