Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Haseldens Are Here!

A new command I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:34 - 35

The Haseldens are here!  It's that time when the Haselden first cousins hit Kure Beach!  This year, there is a small but energetic group of us.  Only 11 of us this year... but oh what a group has joined together!

I went to sleep early (11:00 or so) last night listening to the sound of the others laughing and yapping and living it up like family does when they see each other only once a year or so.  Jean and Sue and Bill and Claudia and Harry and Lynda and Howard and Ellie (of the next generation).  Happy and I conked out early.

I woke up at 5:45 when Lamar telephoned me to suggest that I wake up and make coffee for my cousins... I laughed (and laughed) and thanked him for the suggestion and hung up and went back to bed - without making coffee.  But I did stay awake and watch the sun rise over the ocean. 

Howard made coffee for the group and the rest of us participated by drinking it.  And what do you know... cousins came out of the woodwork and gathered in the kitchen laughing and yapping and living it up again! Freshly brewed coffee and laughter - what a way to start the morning!

We have always gathered in the kitchen.  Our parents did and we follow suit.  Eating seems to make the conversation go down easier.  Of course, conversation isn't much a problem with this group!

This is our time - to reconnect and find out what we've all been up to... to go back years and years and remember our childhoods.  This is a time to remember our mother's dancing, our father's talking, the sound of laughter, the smell of coffee (and sometimes a little whiskey),  peanut butter toast for the kids, and sharing our legacy.  We loved each other from the start - because we were taught that we HAD to!  At least that's why my cousins told me that they played with me! 

Legacy - that's what we're here to celebrate.  That's our joy.  Sharing the legacy of family - that's what our parents left us - and that is what we hope to send to our children.

Lord, thank you so much for family!  Thank you for the legacy that you gave us through our parents.  Help us to carry that legacy to the future so that our children will value family as we do.  You bless us every day.  Open our eyes to focus on those blessings.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment